Friday, August 28, 2015

Fitting In and Finding Your Way...

Young Canadian singer songwriter Aleesia Cara is a poet. Her first song "Here" is a wonderful sarcastic apology to the popular crowd for not fitting in at a party:

 
"I'm sorry if I seem uninterested
Or I'm not listenin', or I'm indifferent
Truly I ain't got no business here
But since my friends are here, I just came to kick it
But really I would rather be at home all by myself"

I think it's a great prompt for discussion groups to consider (full lyrics) and / or a prompt for a quick write as we get to know our students early in the school year. 

Prompts:

1. How much do you connect with Aleesia Cara's feelings in her song "Here"?
or
2. If you were a friend of Alessia Cara's how might you respond to her after hearing her song "Here"?

Wild Things by Alessia Cara

Where_The_Wild_Things_Are_(book)_cover.jpg
Cara's second released song "Wild Things" (full lyrics) builds on the theme with thoughts about high school cliques. It's a terrific call to arms, full of great word play and connections to Maurice Sedac's classic children's story.

Prompts:

  1. Identify a character from a text we’ve read in class and explain how he/she would respond to Alessia Cara’s song. Justify your analysis with specific references to the character’s actions and/or thoughts.
  2. A “lamentation” is a song about regret and loss while a “celebration” is a song about success and triumph. Explain which label you’d apply to Alessia Cara’s “Wild Things”.
  3. How is Alessia Cara’s “Wild Things” related to the classic children’s story “Where the Wild Things Are” by Maurice Sedak?




"I lose my balance on these eggshells you tell me to tread
I'd rather be a wild one instead
Don't wanna hang around the in crowd, the cool kids
I'm cool to me, cause they're not cooler than we are"

No comments:

Featured Post

Critical literacy lesson:

Poor Journalism: " Rise of women teachers 'turning boys off education' as report reveals girls born this year will be 75%...